Bhai phota - the ritual I grew up yearning for.

We were two sisters and our parents never made us feel the absence of a son in their lives. However come this time of the year and I would feel the absence of a brother quite acutely. Especially since mom and masis would get busy with the preparations for Bhai phota and our mamas would land up with gifts for that special tikka.

While I did have Rakhi brothers at school and amongst family friends Bhai phota somehow seemed too sacred to be frittered away on 'by the way' brothers. 

The cousins who could have fitted the bill were never around at this time of the year and the years passed without my being able to dirty my left ring finger with Kajal and tikka and repeat that silly ditty which mom and masi repeated in the most somber tones.

This year though finally was different as Aarini excitedly put the first ever tikka on her young brother's forehead and gleefully exchanged gifts.

Somehow my wait has been so worth it. I felt I was the giver and taker of that cherished tikka at the same time as my children went through the ritual. :)





Comments

Rekha Karmakar said…
Very nice post. Wish ur children have many more bhai photos and their relationship does not get sour with age. U as parents too have a great responsibility in keeping their relationship intact.
Kalyan Karmakar said…
the Bhai phota pictures are too cute. Every year I anxiously wait for the emailed Bhai phota wishes from Pupai, our erstwhile neighbor who used to give us Bhai phota while we were growing up
editor said…
What a nice post, Pinku ji :)
Pinku said…
thank you for your blessings and wishes Mashima. I truly hope I can bring them up as well adjusted individuals who can stand by each other through thick and thin.
Pinku said…
I have read about Pupai so many times on your page :)

Trying to get Aarini to keep all other fingers closed and applying the tikka with her ring finger was quite an event.
Pinku said…
thank you so much :)

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31