Looking For Happiness

I have been meaning to write for a long time, a film here, a feeling there have all begged to be jotted down. However life has been extremely busy since the beginning of the year and the way it looks, it promises to be so till the end of the year and beyond.

January was when I was on the weekdays frantically trying to achieve the numbers at work and shopping for my adopted brother’s wedding on weekends. Early February was when the marriage took place and I assumed life would now become easier with a young girl in the family to look after mom and brother so that I could concentrate on work and my own home.

Me and mom and tried our best to make it a wedding complete in all respects. Both of us for various reasons had not gone on a honeymoon when we got married. We ensured the new couple did. We tried to give them the space and time that most new couples complain about not having.

And yet we could not ensure that they be a happy twosome. Frequent quarrels and unnatural demands erupted, bringing things to such an ugly pass that we need to take legal help to safeguard ourselves. Mom’s blood sugar levels have shot up to near 450, she at this age has been threatened with Police lock-up and abused in the most vilest of language.



One girl came into our lives and shattered everything. Why and how did she get so much power?

My brother is begging that he is ready to be in jail but he cant live with this woman. We are trying our best to bring about a quick resolution.

All my dreams of shared holidays and having parties where the whole family would join in have been shattered. An uneasy calm resides in the house which only a few months back was filled with camaraderie and easy banter.

Mom’s neighbours have been sweethearts, lending their support at any time of day or night that we need. Accompanying us to the police and other authorities. Ensuring mom takes her meal and medicine properly.

On the other side Babun has not been keeping well; Doctors say he has multiple clots in his brain. He has suddenly aged beyond recognition. Tantrums and sudden wild ideas abound. He refuses to listen to any rational thought. We realize that we may not have him with us for too long and that's a very painful thought. I wonder what would Ma do...fifty plus years of togetherness.

Our happy home doesn’t feel as happy anymore. Every phone call or sms scares us as we rush to pick the phone. Trying to take an afternoon nap seems like an ordeal as I fruitlessly try to hush my racing mind and lull it to sleep.

I really wish Baba was around; I am tiring of this burden of responsibilities.

Comments

mixdbrew said…
Oh Pinku...I'm so sorry to hear about all this. I wish there was something I could do. When this ordeal is over, get your mom along and come here for a break. I'll be praying for your family till then, even with the knowledge that things will get better...simply because they have to.
Pinku said…
MB ...when I wrote this post...I had a mental picture of a few friends who would see this and respond...ur name was on the top...and u happened to be the first one to comment. :)

The cosmic link sure does work.

Hope things are going good with you...I will take you up on that offer one day, rest assured...
Nimmy said…
Aww,thatz sad to hear Pinku..Now i know why you are missed from your blog..

Don't worry my dear...If you find that she is not fit to be a part of your family,let her go away... It seems she has gone beyond limits (reference to jail and like) Why don't you reach out for legal help...

((hugs)) Be assured that i am out here praying and waiting for your peace and happy-comeback...
Sagarone said…
Sorry to read about the problems you and your family are facing. Just remember that the night is darkest just before dawn breaks.
Ramya Ramadurai said…
Nothing in your life ever prepares you to deal with old age. But from what I know, you are a brave and strong woman. You will sail through this too and emerge an even greater force to reckon with. Om!
Iya said…
i am so sorry to hear all this. had no idea u were going through all this. hugs dear.. and my prayers too...
Parry said…
From the real one to the fake one, didnt you remember
"ours is not to wonder why
ours is but to do and die"
Tennyson?
We sprout seeds of happiness for others, water them and wait. Our plants flower but these don't. And we go on. As we must.Rest a awhile. And gather the courage to carry on.
Pinku said…
thanks Nimmy...do pray hard , we all really need it.

sagarone....i really hope it is so :)

Galadriel: how have you been girl? Its just so difficult to get used to the idea of elders behaving like kids.

thanks Iya ....
Mumbai Diva said…
i have a friend who went through the same ordeal last year. It took giving 10 lakhs and complete disappearance of mental peace till matters got sorted out. At the time I remember thinking the same -how could one girl shatter everything. Just hope that you guys are able to put the entire bad experience behind speedily.
mixdbrew said…
:) Yeah, it does, doesn't it? I hope things are getting better...
Anonymous said…
I am sorry to know about what you are going through Pinku. Hugs.

I hope you find peace again soon. My prayers are with you.
Anonymous said…
Hey Pinku,

I just stumbled on your blog. I have been in the same situation with my brother's wife. Our lives have been destroyed since he got married. I feel guilty because I choose the girl and we had given her everything we could afford and imagine.

Sometimes we feel good punishes good people...

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31