Bringing You up to Speed...



I thought of writing about so many things but the days seem to be just slipping past without giving me anytime to reflect.

I just get swept along with things sane and insane.

February 4th was the big fat Indian wedding of my adopted brother and a girl we shall call Bha. So the whole of January or rather all the weekends of Jan were spent in preparing for this grand event.

Since he is adopted and that too not in the proper formal manner (he came to us when he was 18, decided to call my mom, mom and just stayed on) there were not too many relatives willing to help with the responsibilities. It was left to mom, me and parry to organize everything.

Mom’s neighbours however behaved like complete sweethearts, coming in at all sorts of odd hours to help us with the various rituals.

With a few hiccups here and there everything went well. Office was painful though and I was alternating between my laptop and preparations for the wedding through all three days that a bong wedding lasts.

5th evening saw me and another young lady going in a decorated car to fetch the new groom and bride home. We laughed our heads off when we realized what a spectacle two dressed up women in a decked car would look like to unsuspecting passer-bys.

6th evening was the reception at our place. I was happy to see the turn out, especially friends who had driven all the way from east Delhi to wish the new couple.

7th morning found me quite dead from the exertions of the past few days. It being a Sunday was the saving grace as one full day of rest allowed me to face work on the 8th.

Only to be told by the client that the work we had been doing through the wedding days need to be revisited and revised. CLIENTS I TELL YOU!!!

Shivratri and Valentine’s got rolled into one weekend. And we visited mom’s again to check out how the new bride was faring. Also to check out on the gifts, one silly ritual at my home is that no gifts are opened till I am around. Love my bro for religiously following it even though the gifts were rightfully his and his wife’s. Must appreciate Bha too for piling me up with half the gifts which we had a difficult time refusing without making her cry.

In the evening mom, me and Bha each got a Valentine’s gift…..I loved the thoughtful gesture by the men in our lives.

Thereafter we got the innocent, God fearing, superstitious new bride to have two shots of Vodka with orange juice to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Next morning when we told her what she had the night before she looked accusingly at all of us and kept pronouncing the unmentionable as podka.

We grinned all the way to office.

A week of getting back to work and it was then time for Mampi to pay us a visit. She was to be in town for some research related work and stayed with us for a few days.

Parry and Mampi tried to scare each other very hard and in the process also found out that they are kumbh ke mele mein khoye hue siblings. In the same evening Mampi managed to drop her coke not once but twice. I have only seen Parry equal such a feat.

We all missed the ghumanto Sumanto who had decided to go to Hyderabad just then. Had he been there a nice kebab party would have been on the cards for sure.

Mampi being the sweetheart she is managed with the rukha-sukha we could feed her and I think she was pretty appalled by our lifestyle and schedules and escaped back to her sane, structured life in Ludhiana asap.

So there you have had a glimpse at my life of the past two months. I am hoping to be more regular on my blog and yours too now on. Wish me luck.

Comments

Hemanth said…
Good luck! One question though, when you say coke is it the drinking wala yaaa snorting waala?
Preeti said…
hey Pinku ..quite an iventful last two months for u ..congrats for the bros wedding ...
Pinku said…
coke as in the coca cola hemanth....how are the preps going??

yeah Preeti you can say that again...and many thanks for the wishes. :) How have u been?
Kalyan Karmakar said…
Loved the phote. the wedding sounded like great fun.

Have you heard the Uttam Kumar song, 'ebar morle sari hobo'. Substitute sari with 'client' for agency folks
sindhu said…
It is fun and tiring when there is a wedding at home, though it has been years since I have experienced one at home!
Congrats to ur bro and Bha...
Pinku said…
hey knife....u know the pain dont u :)

Had never heard that song...blame my non-calcutta up-bringing...will hunt for it now..

Sindhu: yes its very very tiring....but when u remember it later u grin at it all.
Thanks for the wishes :)
mixdbrew said…
Hey! That sounds like an interesting 2 months. Can't blame you then for not being a regular on blogland :) Congrats to you and your family for adding another gem to your household :)
Manish Raj said…
Welcome back Pinku..
How do we know said…
wow men.. you have had a very interesting life!!
Pinku said…
Mixedbrew: thanks for the wishes.... :) We are all rare and loony gems....at time i sit back and look at us through the eyes of a stranger and i can just about imagine how completely mad we must seem.

Thanks manish...how have u been?


HDWK: interesting ...yeah right...u are welcome to join in anytime :)
mixdbrew said…
Ah-ha! that's just the way i like 'em ;)
Liked the disorganised, happy-go-lucky life of yours. Enjoy!!!
Mampi said…
That was such a wonderful khulasa.
I was actually thinking of *How-Parry-and-I-beat-each-other-in-Clumsy-handling-of-things* last night when I was pouring Pepsi for Jai in a small paper glass.
Mampi said…
...and I love that beautiful house you call home...
and I love your landlord and landlady and your dogs and your gate and the parking space and your car and the way your life is.
That is because the two of you are a set of adorable friends.
Pinku said…
Hey mampi,

you are welcome anytime....now everyone including landlords and dogs know u well :)

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31