Thank You God

Feeling miserable that I will have to walk in the heat, to go to the bank to inquire about the status of my accounts which were to be opened I move from office.

The lift is not working yet again I walk down cursing the idiots who couldn’t repair it in time.

Once outside I squint, the sun is so harsh, beads of perspiration appear even before I have taken half a dozen steps.

The walk is through a subway, out the other side and then a long walk thanks to the MCD which forgot to leave space for pedestrians while making a long wall to guard the colony within which the bank is situated.

Into the bank and I look around for someone to help me. A newly married woman obliges in a disgruntled manner, without taking down my name and number she dismisses me saying I will look into the matter and let you know.

I insist that she takes my number and only then she does though reluctance is writ large on her face. I wonder if she will throw the piece of paper as soon as I turn my back or wait for me to leave the bank premises.

I walk back out again into the hot sun. Take the long walk back and just as I near the subway my chappal rips.

I look down at it and wonder why everything that can go wrong does so with me alone?

I look around for a cobbler, see none and hobble over to an old man sitting hunched over a few cucumber slices, I ask him if there is a cobbler around and he looks up and says he is not aware of one.

As I walk away I suddenly realize I had seen despair in his eyes. He probably thought I would purchase from him when he saw me approaching and my query must have really disappointed him.

I limp through the subway, ask the guard sitting inside with two ear plugs firmly in place if he knows of a cobbler in the vicinity and he points the way to one.

I walk upto the guy and find him polishing a pair of shoes which looked like they had little life in them. The owner was standing patiently with a file in his hand and it wasn’t hard to guess that he was looking for a job.

The cobbler a young boy of barely fifteen is intently polishing a shoe, when he should be in school learning to write and draw.
He takes my chappal next and I stand on one leg, watching the world go by. It’s a queer feeling, suddenly you are rooted and not even to a place that you want to be rooted to.

A woman in her mid twenties approaches the cobbler, gives him a big smile and asks if he would repair her chappal, he gives it a glance and says it would cost five bucks. She looks uncertain and then asks if two wouldn’t suffice. The young boy gives her a contemptuous look and says in this locality no one touches a shoe for less than five.

The woman walks away with her chappal in one hand.

Mine is done and I pay the fellow and move on. Just as I start I see two young girls walk up both limping with broken footwear. They are holding hands and almost enjoying the discomfort of a broken shoe.

I walk back into office and feel grateful to God for giving me this valuable lesson and a comfortable life.

Comments

Hmm... well, thats your share of Karma, I suppose :) But it is strange, right, how things can turn so miserable at times and yet you know you're much better off than what it could have been. I'm not saying that we should thank God for that or some fate or something, but strangely it brings comfort that there is still a lot left to fight for.
P.S. - Thanks for dropping by at my place! :)
Pinku said…
hi! sudipta,

u r so right, its a solace to think we could have been worse off than what we are.

I liked ur blog so will be dropping in frequently...hope to your footprints are seen on mine too. :)
BG said…
yeh there are somedays which makes u feel so low and miserable.........

and all of a sudden a small incident makes us feel, life is better and not as miserable as we think ...
Pinku said…
hey invincible,

you are so very right. That day was one such for me. the small trip outside shook me out of the self pity I was wallowing in.
Trevor Penn said…
There's always light at the end of the tunnel... or at the other end of a subway for that matter. :)
Mampi said…
Hi Pinku,
thanks for dropping by on my blog. It is surely so encouraging to have another reader. This post is one wonderful write up. So simple, and yet so subtle. Keep it up. I guess I will be going thru all your posts as and when I can be, and will try to leave comments on each of them.
Pinku said…
hi! Trevor, yes there is light at the end of the tunnel and the subway but too often our dark glasses make us miss them...

Hey Manpreet,

Glad to see u here. Am waiting to hear from u more.
Thanks for the compliment, I wrote it fifteen minutes after the incident so I guess it turned out simple and true.
That was one annoying day!
....glad you saw the silver lining:)

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31