Discrimination

I was born late in the afternoon on a Friday in april, in a suburb of Delhi. My grandmother (dad’s mom) who barely spoke hindi and had come from Assam to be there with mom during her delivery distributed sweets to the entire neighborhood. Though the largely Haryanvi and Punjabi neighbors found it hard to believe that anyone could be happy at the birth of a girl child.
Earlier grandma had stopped mom from going to her parents place for the delivery (as is the custom in most parts of the country). She insisted mom was a part of her family and therefore looking after both mom and the newborn was her job. She stayed with mom for three months, helping mom recover and then teaching her how to handle small children, their symptoms etc. You see I was my parent’s first child and mom had never handled a small child before. Three and a half years later my sister was born. My parents prayers for a healthy child was answered, the sex of the child had not been a part of those prayers.

Throughout our childhood we were never told that we couldn’t do a thing because we were girls. Even during summer vacations when we visited our cousins (all six boys) we were never reprimanded for following our cousins on their tree-climbing, kite-flying, cricket-playing, knee- scrapping escapades.
When I was growing up grandma told me ‘marry a Kashmiri’ (they are such handsome guys). We ourselves are Bengalis.
During my visit to our village home at the age of thirteen I found copies of the holy Koran, Bible, Guru Granth Sahib and books on the teachings of the Buddha apart from the Mahabharat, Ramayana and Gita in my grandma’s possession. Just to give you a background our village is a three hour journey from the nearest railhead. And granny was married of at the age of fifteen. She had lived in that village all her married life. At the age of forty five when her children were settled she undertook to travel to each and every part of the country alone.
After the death of her husband, people said they had seen his ghost walking around the village many times. She sat alone for three nights out in the open without a light. She said if my husband is visiting the earth after his death, he had better meet me.
My father died when I was fifteen, my mom who till then had been a housewife took it upon herself to run the family and refused help from relations who asked us to live with them. She said I don’t want my children growing up feeling like the poor, fatherless cousins of well-to-do people.

Why am I writing all this?
Because I just finished reading a post that speaks of gender discrimination in well-to-do educated families and it made me shudder.
Thank God for sending me to a family which is so different.

Comments

Keshi said…
its great knowing more abt ur life Pinku.

Gender discrimination is still very BIG in India, I know. Its so sad. Sometimes I just wonder WHY some ppl r like that! I cant u'stand them.


*HUGZ* kudos to ur mum!

Keshi.
Ramya Ramadurai said…
How wonderful that you grew up in a family without discrimination. We, as urban dwellers, do not realize the importance of certain things we take for granted. Just knowing that we have these things makes us appreciate our families that much more. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
Mampi said…
Amazing women - your Granny and your mom. No wonder you have that strength. It runs in the blood - from either side. Btw - Somehow I thought you were a Punjabi. :-), not that there is much difference between a Punjaban and a Banagalan !

Wonderful post.
Pinku said…
Dear Keshi,

perhaps its centuries of conditioning, perhaps the fact that their own life is so bitter, but the sad truth is that women themselves dont want daughters. Wish we could do something to change the situation.

Dear Galadriel,
sadly this phenomenon is no longer a rural one. Thanks to technology people get to choose the sex of their child much before its born. Ask Manpreet her child's class of over 50 students has only 19 girls. Do you think thats natural?

Manpreet, when I was growing up I thought they were just like any other but I know better now. They are superb. I only pray I am able to instill the same values in my children when they happen...not by preaching but by pure example...like mom and granny.
BG said…
hey nicely written....
Keshi said…
I agree. Its self-hatred that make ppl do such things to others!

Keshi.
Anonymous said…
Hey!
Wonderful post..
Here I go around cribbing about everything, from my morning toast to bedsheets and pillows at night.. and whoosh! I read your post and .. stop to 'think' ;-) (for a change!) and to feel so special and lucky (too!)!!

and hey..! thanks for dropping by at my blog.. :-)
Pinku said…
Hey! Kanchan - glad i could make you feel good about yourself...your blog didnt reflect a very whining kind of person though.

Keep visiting!!!
Anonymous said…
Pingback from Blogbharti: [...] Amidst all the din of discrimination against the girl child, sometimes it is so heartening to see the tides of change [...]
Unknown said…
gender discrimination is a serious issue in india but i think it's prevalent more in the rural part of the country...i think the evil has disappeared to a great extent from the urban india. and well you must feel lucky to have been blessed with such a lovely family.
It's all in the blood mentions Manpreet. Very true, and somewhere Assam figures in the picture, he!he!
Probably I said it earlier too, but thing is gender discrimination is not related to wealth. It is more of a cultural thing. And cultures take a long time to change....
Hats off to your grandma and mom!
Anonymous said…
@pinku..
:-D
which means you haven't read the whiny entries ;-)
and hey! u gave me the link to lynn's blog.. but she doesn't seem to be the same person you were describing..!
though I found this blog pretty interesting too..!
Pinku said…
hey Blogbharti,

yeah the tide is turning but ever so slowly. Lets do all we can to help it on its way.

dear animesh,

I wish i could agree with you that discrimination has disappeared from the cities...sadly it hasn't. and we women hear of so many instances every day, amongst our own educated, working class...that I shudder to think of those below.

Sujoy,
u got it so right...its nothing to do with wealth..infact at times its the wealthy who hanker after a son more than the underpriveleged...remember the Pooja Bhatt movie...Tamanna?

Hi! Kanchan,
guess I havent read the whiny ones as u put it...will try to find those...lyn's blog is lynnisms.blogspot.com...I think i missed the 's' last time round.
Anonymous said…
then i would say i have been slightly ignorant...but i would certainly say things are changing...there are many families i know which treat the daughters and sons as equals.
Pinku said…
Animesh,

yes there are families which treat their children as equals but sadly the numbers are still very low...and another thing is many camouflage their discrimination too.
keeping a veneer of modernity on top while medieveal thoughts prevail.
Mana said…
Good post, pinku.

Your granny and mom are brave women. Appreciate their thoughts.
hi,
simply heart warming and wonderul. love your writing style. keep it going. i hope you become someone great and show our people that its not the end of the world if they have a baby girl. hats of to you ! your mom and your grand mom... the guy who marries you is a very lucky person... keep fighting girl . we need people like this in our country

cheers
=>> the stone with a heart

http://vetti-times.blogspot.com/

http://opposingthewind.blogspot.com/

http://another-bites-the-dust.blogspot.com/
Pinku said…
hey Manasa - thanks a ton...granny is not around anymore and mom cribs a lot but yes i think secretly she is proud of me.

Hey Baraka, welcome to my enchanted world...ur words give delight...name though intrigues..what does it mean?

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31