The Trip

The balcony was a secluded affair. Small with just enough space to accommodate two chairs it looked meant for those moments in life when you forget about the existence of any other being except perhaps you and the person with you (if you are lucky enough to have someone with you that is).

The view stretched out over the tin and slate rooftops to the mountain whose summit had vanished into the clouds. It was a sparkling green in color with pockets of darker green where perhaps the trees had crowded over too much.

I sat with my pen and diary, as is my wont whenever I am traveling, ready to scribble whatever stray thought would enter my head. But both lay unused as I sat and looked at the rain falling from the sky, the rooftops, the leaves, the wires, the balcony grill.

It seemed ironical that here I was on a beautiful hill station, in a secluded balcony, with the most romantic rainfall imaginable and no one to share it with. Why is life so unfair? My friends had hinted at just this when I had explained my plan to go away to the hills and experience the monsoons there. But I had been adamant; had insisted I had to get away, had to be by myself. They had all clucked, “How will you manage?” “You will invite trouble one keeps hearing of all these murders of lonely tourists?” “What will your family say?” Had actually felt good at being able to wave off their warnings saying I can manage. Shiny’s statement had however been a little more difficult to ignore, sitting quietly in a corner, as was her habit she had looked up from her book to say, “You will be lonely”

“You are talking about loneliness, you recluse!” I had tried to laugh off her words but somehow my heart had constricted at the thought. Truth to speak, part of my going away was a test I wanted to put to myself and see whether I could manage without a known face around. Being born and brought up in the same city, I had hardly ever gone anywhere without being accompanied by someone or bumping into an acquaintance. Also, I had been happy with my family, extended family, friends, friends of friends and friends of family. Had never really thought of the time I spend in entertaining them or visiting them in happiness or sorrow as ill spent or tiresome.

Now, after all these years I had woken up to the existence of another person. The private me, the part of me which liked to stare at the starlit sky without being disturbed, wanted to while away a Saturday evening with a book and not bother to go to the mandatory club or party.

So, here I was sitting in a balcony whiling away a beautiful romantic afternoon with some monkeys for company. They had decided to take shelter in the adjacent balcony, father- mother with three kids in tow. Their presence and animated chatter brought me back to earth and I realized how much ever the rain might quench my soul’s thirst, solid food was still required to satiate the hunger pangs I felt. I thought about asking room service to get me something then decided against it.

Locking my door against the probable assault of the monkeys I set off to the restaurant to find some food. It was late afternoon and as I walked in the lone waiter looked less than glad to see me. I was possibly intruding into his break time before the preparations for the evening crowds started. Picking up the menu he walked upto the table I had sat down at almost reluctantly. I decided to surprise him and with a solicitous air asked him if I was disturbing him too much and if it would not be possible for him to find me something quick to eat so that I could leave soon.

As I had expected he was taken aback and lost some of his gruff manner. Explained to me that due to the lateness of the hour the tandoors would not be working but he could get me some sandwiches and a shake if I cared for it. I agreed and he went off.

That’s when I noticed the man standing outside peering in with a bemused smile at me. I smiled back instinctively, his smile was infectious. That seemed to embolden him and he opened the restaurant door and walked straight at me.

I was a little startled at this behavior and was wondering what it would lead to and then decided a bit recklessly what did I have to lose?

“Hi! David here, had to come in and ask you how you managed to get that guy to smile? I have been watching him for the past hour and half and this is the first time that he had anything but a grimace on his face.”

“That was easy, I just asked if it would be too much of a bother for him to find me some food since I was really hungry. I have served people for a long time and know how a demand can be made to sound like a request and works so much better.” I explained.

“Would you care to join me for a sandwich and shake” the words had slipped out before I realized and I looked down puzzled at my own behavior. David seemed just waiting for it and promptly sat down. The waiter had returned by then and I asked David what he would like. “Whatever you are having goes” he replied and the waiter went away to get his order.

Having invited him to a meal I had no idea how to go on further and was wondering what kind of soup I had walked into. David however seemed completely at ease, tapping away at the edge of the table, humming to himself and staring out at the rain. I noticed that his eyes had a faraway look and he seemed to have forgotten about my existence. So I stole some glances to assess this stranger better.

Hazel coloured eyes shaded with long blonde eyelashes, a sharp nose with a small bump on the left, a boxer’s nose, shoulder length blonde hair tied carelessly with a string that seemed torn of a sack, a medium build on a tallish frame. It was hard to tell his age could have been anywhere between 20 to 35 years. His body belied the experience his eyes and face spoke of.

“The rains in the hills are the most beautiful sight” he commented as if we were having some kind of an ongoing discussion and didn’t even look at me while saying so keeping his eyes glued to the scene outside. Before I could answer he next proposed, “Lets take the food and walk out to the terrace I want to go back to the spray”.

I didn’t find the idea of putting up a balancing act on a slippery terrace very appealing to which he suggested that we eat up the sandwiches and carry just the shakes out, that way we would have atleast a hand free each. I couldn’t disagree to that and we gobbled up the sandwiches and walked out.

The spray hit me as soon as I walked out, tiny droplets alighting on me and staying there for a while before my clothes slowly sucked them in. It was an exhilarating feeling and I told David so. He simply grinned and walked to the edge of the terrace and cupped some rainwater in his hand and before I knew it he had splashed it at me catching me unawares.

It infuriated and delighted me and I threatened him saying he shouldn’t do it again my voice possibly saying just the opposite. He stopped, looked back and very matter of fact threw another handful of water at me. I was left with no alternative but to punish him with the same and promptly did so. Inwardly wondering over what had come over me to be playing in the rain with a stranger.

He was delighted and returned the compliment by now cupping both his hands and filling them with rain water and threatening me with it at which I had to plead to be left off. He decided to be merciful and went back to a handful of water that he splashed at me in a swift backhand before I had a chance to duck. Seeing my discomfiture he laughed uproariously and made me forget to be angry.

But I had, had enough and wanted to teach this guy a lesson so I looked around for a fitting answer and then I saw the broken pitcher at the corner of the terrace that had collected a good amount of rainwater. I waited for David to stop laughing and turn his back to me that he did after a good five minutes.

I had tiptoed to the pitcher and picking it up walked back to where he was leaning across the railing, my intention was to empty the thing over his back however I wasn’t prepared for what happened next. Just as I reached close enough to do the needful he turned with a flurry upsetting my concentration and crashing into the pitcher, which fell from my hands onto his sandal-clad feet. He screamed out, hopping on a leg around the terrace and I almost laughed at the figure he cut only to realize that the jagged edge of the pitcher had cut his feet and it was bleeding.

The waiter had walked out on hearing the commotion. I felt ashamed of having to tell him what had happened, so telling him to put the bill down in my name I guided the still one legged David to my room, where I had some basic first aid stuff in my luggage.

(The rest is for you to conclude and let me know)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its the small things in life that makes living worthwhile
Anonymous said…
i'll have to re-write the song - strangers in the noon, exchanging water...
bugs said…
Hey Pinku

hummm...first of all let me say u have guts to indulge with srangers with an ease like that...

And i just love the rain..that too on mountains...nothing can me more sexy than that....but to be alone at such a place is not my kind of an idea...If not a gorgeous babe..at least an old friend to share the joy of being at such pace is must for me.

Monkeys won't do :-)

Bugs.
Pinku said…
Hi! Guys,

thanks for taking out time to read all that I write (even the crappy ones).

I was carrying on a test while writing this blog i.e. if I don't mention the sex, age and profile of the narrator would you automatically think of it as me and secondly to take your feedback on whether the narrator could have been an elderly man out on his own also.
Do let me know if you think thats possible or highly improbable.
Awaiting your verdict.
Anonymous said…
bcoz i knew the narrator, umm, it was pretty evident.
Anonymous said…
Hi,
I am bugs friend from B'bay.This is not your first blog that I have read.I must say , they are quite interesting..except for the poetry and other abstract stuff..no offense meant but I don't get poetry...shayari or any other language it is recited in...ghazals...they sound awesome..but poetry is too much for me to handle..Anyway , coming back to the point.."The Trip" had taken me away to the hills.Balconies , I love..almost to the point, that the last house I had rented in b'bay was just for the balcony..the house was crappy..but the balcony had the most amazing view..Bugs is a witness to that.The narration took off very well and I could almost visualize the sequence of events...Very well written.
Siddarth
Pinku said…
Hey! Siddharth,

Thanks for visiting my blog and a huge thanks for leaving a comment. Its always nice to know if people leave a calling card so to speak when they visit.

So you like balconies too. I am completely addicted to them and my way of looking for homes is pretty much like yours.

Do keep visting my enchanted world.
Anonymous said…
:) Nice story that is and nicer that you kept the end open.. :)

Hope this time around you wouldnt cut anyone's leg :)there are other ways of having fun too :)
Pinku said…
Hey Lash....sadly its just a story...nothing like this really happened.

Of course the setting is true and also the fact that i had gone alone.

And I tend to cut my own leg more often anyways.
Trevor Penn said…
I like it. As for your "test", I didn't think of this tale as a memoir but the narrative was definitely either feminine or effeminate. Just my two cents. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31