A Happy Afternoon @ DPS NOIDA

One of my most awaited afternoons of the year came last Sunday. The annual alumni meet of DPS NOIDA which is held on the third Sunday of every December. This was the third consecutive year that I visited the school for this get together and am happy to report that I came back as thrilled as ever. :)

I have studied in a convent school most of my life and consequently grew up with a robust disregard for public schools. DPS with its snob kids whose wild stories we had all heard, topped the list. I suspect now that most of the stories were about DPS Mathura Road and RK Puram however in our minds eye all DPSs and public schools got painted with the same brush.So when three years ago I went to this very same Alumni meet with the partner I had not quite known what to expect. I had of course heard stories of his classmates, the friends, crushes and teachers and a small bit of me was curious to see what those people were like in real life.

To my surprise I had found the whole afternoon a lovely one and though I didn't know anyone there I didn't feel out of place or unwanted at all. The winter sun, the lovely flowers, the green lawns and some sumptuous food what better way to spend a winter afternoon? So since then I started looking forward to this annual event.

This year too was no different. We arrived at the school gates a little after twelve and the partner registered himself. As always we did a quick check to see if any of his batchmates were present but were disappointed. Not for long though, the environment is infectious that you get buoyed by the general bonhomie.

While I settled down at a strategically placed table (close to the food and a good view of the lawns) the partner went around looking for known faces and i saw him busily weaving in and out of the crowd.

The huge cake was brought out and the Principal (a new one this year) gave a short welcome speech and then like every year the senior most batch present was asked to come forward to do the honors.

The partner ran up (as always) and then he was joined by a few others who were a couple of years junior, including a lady who had passed out in 1992 and now her son studied in the same school.

This year seemed to be one when even fewer of those known to the partner had turned up and till now he had been able to spot only one familiar face. Could sense his disappointment while I happily gorged on the hot and crisp alu tikkis.


We gazed on the students returned to their alma mater after perhaps years, pointing out the similarities and changes in the school with a hint of nostalgia and also pride. Hugging some teachers, bowing down to touch the feet of others. Whoops of joy on spotting a classmate. Long forgotten pet names coming effortlessly to the lips.

I was not a part of it and yet strangely I felt a part. And I felt so very blessed to be able to share this moment with my partner. It connects us to a time when we didn't know each other.

And just then we spot two ladies hurrying towards us with the biggest grins possible. Varsha and Reena the partners classmates. They spotted his name at the registration desk and were hurrying forward to find him. I couldn't help remarking that his three years tapasya bore fruit, finally ;)

That minute changed the afternoon as everyone tried to introduce everyone else and the classmates couldn't help grinning away. Stories were swapped so were phone numbers and locations.

Lunch turned into catching up time and then a tour of the school grounds that gave the kids a chance at the swings.

Four happy hours flew past and then it was time to say goodbye as my sore legs refused to hold me up any more. But I came away happy, content and with a Christmas invitation to boot. :)

What could be better?

Comments

Devaraj Baul said…
Thank you for the wonderful post Priyanka. The class of'89 welcomes you into our fold as a most honorable member and chronicler. :-)
Pinku said…
Hi there usedtexMachine: thanks for the welcome..

I was almost getting ready for brickbats with that candid comment on public schools.

I am hazarding a guess based on my knowledge of the partner's friends that you must be Ronnie...the forever in Goa friend.

forgive me if I am wrong.
mydreamyeyes said…
Doesnt the "partner" Have a name ? Sounds strange , repeated reference to him as partner..! Thanks for a nice write up , Pinku..
Pinku said…
The partner does have a name...just that i like referring to him as partner :)

thanks for the appreciation.
So u dodged this year too Dreamyeyes
Oreen said…
gosh, this has inspired me to arrange for some reunions this time round in Calcutta...where's my phone?
Pinku said…
Oreen...u must!!

its so lovely to meet old friends..
PreeOccupied said…
Isnt it fun to meet old classmates! I long for that day now.

P.S. If you frequent Noida or live there, have you had the 5 paani wala gol gappa? Next to that godforsaken market - i think named after one of the rivers.

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31