Pines & Snow

I have been writing about my trips on this blog regularly under the label footprints. So much so that part of the excitement of going on a trip now seems to be the recounting of it once back on the blog for friends.

The trip this time was no different, since right from the beginning I kept filing away details in my mind and clicking pictures all with the view that it would get space on the blog. However since my travel mate Mampi is already writing about the exact activities of the trip in great detail I am not going to repeat it. You can visit her blog for details. Let me therefore share with you some snippets and photographs.
It was Dalhousie that we went to this time. Famously nicknamed "dull & lousy" by the boisterous crowds, the place is a military cantonment and a quaint little town that was set up just 150 years ago.

We arrived there in high spirits, the thrill of having escaped the mundane hectic lives we normally lead giving all of us extra broad smiles. A slightly frantic hunt later we were able to locate our hotel Geetanjali, which sadly didn’t live up to the reputation of the other HP Tourism hotels I have been to.

We were welcomed by the Monkeys…..the many, many monkeys of Dalhousie were an alternate world in themselves and I spend quite a few uneasy moments initially since their jumping onto the tin roof of the hotel caused quite a din. I was afraid one of them would jump a little too hard, crash through the roof and land on me.

Thankfully that didn’t happen.

The reason for choosing Dalhousie was the hope to catch some snow….as in a snowfall. I had never seen one and really thought that at 31 not experiencing a snowfall is a very embarrassing fact which needed to be rectified before the next birthday.

However though Dalhousie seemed nicely cold, snow was no where in sight. I prayed hard to all the Gods to arrange for some so that I woulnt have to go back disappointed, there was the added pressure of family and friends mockery which would ensue since my SNOW plans had been circulated far and wide.

On the second day of our stay there we woke up to find a rainbow right outside, it was so close that I felt if I jumped I could catch it and perhaps swing on it. I tried to capture it in my camera but sadly it was so close that catching both ends was impossible.

We finally found snow on our way to Khajjiar. It started as little mounds of dirty white by the road side and in crevices on the mountain side. It slowly grew better and we eventually found places where there was enough snow for people to be able to make snow balls and have matches. We saw the crowds descending on the snow oohed and aahed and moved on for destination Khajjiar.

Khajjiar was a beautiful place though slightly sullied by the descending hordes who thought nothing of leaving plastic bottles and empty chips packets all over the place. We walked away from the crowds and did a parikrama. With sudden bursts of rain, the wind whistling amongst the tall pine trees and the lone horse roaming on the greens…it was as idyllic as it could get.
One look at the distant mountains and you could see that it was snowing there…and I prayed fervently for a little to fall on me as well.

The drizzle of rain threatened to become a downpour hastening our departure from Khajjiar…mentally we all made plans to be back again…such was the magic of that simple glade amongst the mountains.

We were talking, eating and generally looking around while Mahesh drove when the urge to play in the snow overtook us and we stopped on the wayside. By now I had reconciled myself to the fact that I will have to be happy with snow on the ground and snow from the sky will have to just wait.

Mahesh and Mampi walked ahead and started climbing up the snow….me and Parry were still on the roadside throwing snow balls at each other…when Mahesh suddenly said Pinku look up, I did and there it was…..my snow fall.

It lasted all of two minutes but God fulfilled my desire….this is why I keep saying My God Strongest.

Post the snow the road and trip was all downhill….since my high point had been achieved so let me not bore you with the sad hearts that descended the slopes the next day.

Instead let me tell you about the Dunch (what I call a lunch that suffices for dinner) we had at Haveli in Jullundhar. It’s a nice place that showcases the real Punjab and the food is finger licking….I am still grieving for the pindi chole we had to leave behind since Mahesh wouldn’t allow us to have it packed for later.

Mampi enlightened that hosts who treat at Haveli are known as good ones in Punjab. I agree with her view but would just like to add that she was anyways way up there in my list of favorite hosts/hostesses.
I know this will add to the numbers who wish to visit her but then she being the gracious and gregarious hostess she is will surely happily accommodate.

Comments

~nm said…
Just loved reading the round up. I was smiling all the time imagining to be with you guys :)

I still remember the day when I saw the snowfall for the first time. I was wondering to myself as to why is the rain coming in slow motion :D
very nice pics.
a snow ball fight seems fun, but nothing can beat the joy of watching snow fall.
Trevor Penn said…
Sweet!!! Glad you had a fun time!
Pinku said…
NM....we both have been following the snow trail it seems...it was super fun...why dont you join us the next time round??

Sailor...you are so right...I have seen snow before but watching fall in snow motion out of nowhere is ethereal...

Trevor...thanks...you have been missed, whats up??
i am what i am said…
i had been to dalhousie as a school kid. reading about it in your post, specially khajjiar brought back very fond memories of that trip. nice post. lovely pics.looks like you guys had a lot of fun. i too have been to haveli and as you rightly said the food is lip smacking there.
Ramya Ramadurai said…
lovely trip sounds like! welcome back. :)
Mampi said…
I envy you the rainbow. Wish I had not been the lazy bum that I am.
And in the snow fall thingy, you forgot the encouraging comments of someone on the roadside. heee heee. Okay I will keep my mouth shut. Thanks for putting up the pics. 'Dunch' was a great innovation, I would call it Linner though.
Thanks for pushing us all into taking this trip. Bless you and your snow.
u guys really had a rocking time...gr8 :))
Oooooh I want some snow too...good going...keep having fun :)
sukumbho said…
What a punch in this word 'Dunch!' Hope it doesnt give us unwanted paunch. Could a 'Linner' make us thinner? Donno. I've to try either of these first.

Could Dalhousie be dull with two giggling beauties around? Never. The rainbow just added a dash of color in honour of your presence in Dalhousie, I believe.
Never seen a live snow fall.....sigh!
But as for monkeys, I have had enough of them. Bastards, they always choose to ransack my cupboard in the hostel once they got the taste of Hide and Seek biscuits. Impish creatures that they are, they even managed to get over their fear of firecrackers once they dug into the biscuits.
Keshi said…
Good to see ya hv fun Pinku :)

LOVELY PICS WOW!

Keshi.
sukumbho said…
Of all the things on your blog, I must congratulate you on the newly designed masthead. It immediately transports you to a magical realm -lush green nature, open spaces to just stand and stare, clouds atop the hills, more hills beyond the veil of dark clouds and an overall sense of awe and mystery about nature that had captivated humanity for ages.

Is this one of those clicked during Dalhousie trip? You deserve an enchanted life in your own world, painted in your own colours.
Trevor Penn said…
Just been awfully busy with work.

Even though i might just pull down this photo blog, i thought you might like to see the only post there. :-)
Trevor Penn said…
Oops!! Here's the link

http://iridian-hues.blogspot.com/
Pinku said…
I am what i am.....Dalhousie was beautiful...I recommend you do the trip again...am always around to plan one if u need me ;)

Galadriel....its a wonderful feeling to be missed...am glad to be back too..

Mampi...yes you did miss a beautiful rainbow outside though am sure the goings on inside were very interesting as well..

As for the snow story..thats ur forte so leaving it to u to do justice..
Pinku said…
Seeds of happiness: well atleast you cant say you werent asked....remember to not miss good times next time :)

Akshaya...come down to this part of the country and U will find some...snow is fun

Sukumbho...the whole point of a dunch is the paunch...Linner may leave u thinner...but then you must ask mampi about it.

U have it right about the beauty in Dalhousie...but the number is wrong...Mampi was the beauty I was just basking in reflected glory..Thanks for the compliment about the masthead...yeah the shot is from dalhousie taken on my humble mobile camera.

sujoy...u are missing something...do rectify the situation soon.

Keshi....thank you so much..

Trevor...I have visited the link and left a suggestion too...let me know what you think of it..
hitch writer said…
lovely photographs !!!!

You should have got the pindi chole !! slurp !
jyotsana said…
hi pinku,
i am here on your blog for the first time.....liked the details of your travelling and the pix too...
and you can share the information on heart attack with others....this might help many women...which was my purpose in posting it on the blog....of course i wouldnt mind...i would love it..
pinku is my favorite cousin's name....so i am already feeling at home...
I felt soooo envious of you, having so much fun in the hiils and snow, not 'dull and lousy' at all. When we were in Kolkata, we would make an annual trip to the Himalyas, but here in mostly-sweltering Mumbai, snow is only to be seen in the fridge.
June Saville said…
Hi PINKU
I wandered over here from Mampi to see if you were the Pinku who visits 70 Plus and Still Kicking and YES you are. It was really interesting to see the accounts the two of you produced about your trip. I loved the photographs as well.
It must be SO much fun to meet another blogger ...
rayshma said…
i love reading ur travel posts!!
and even more, the pics! :)

i witnessed my first snowfall this year too... and it's just SO beautiful!! :D
Anonymous said…
Very nice indeed!
The photograph of the four of you was the best.About rainbows, they do have this irritating habit of either being too far or too close-you never can actually click them properly!(lolzzz)
Both your accounts do credit to the trip
-glad you enjoyed. wishing you many more such moments in future:)
Just read the other post on Mampi's blog. Whew -- you folks had a great time! :)
Read Mampi's post and now this one with pictures! Lovely photographs!!!!!

You guys had such fun!
I love your new header ... it's a beautiful change and looks great!
Pinku said…
hitch writer...thank you so much!!! I know am still getting these dreams of the chole going away...

jyotsna...please feel right at home...welcome to my enchanted world.
Thanks for the appreciation.
\

Sucharita...being in Mumbai is no excuse...come down during summer vactions and we can all do a lovely trip.

June...hi yes its me!!! It is really lovely to meet bloggers...unlike strangers we meet blogger friends are people whose closest thoughts we are already aware of.

Hey Rayshma....thats lovely so we both can remember this as the SNOW YEAR!!!


Mithe...thank you so much ...u are a sweetheart

Sudipta...of course we did :)

IHM: we did have a lot of fun...infact were grinning most of the time thru three days.

Thanks, the header pic is from Dalhousie...taken on a mobile camera.
Anonymous said…
Hey hey Pinku..you are back,,

How you envy me with all those pictures in snow and all :) sob sob...Its my greatest wish to visit a snow covered place..

thanks for posting photos and making me feel good..

So Mampi and you are friends in real life??Cool...Did you know her thru blog or earlier..Its great to meet bloggy frnds and i would love to meet many of my friends one day ..
Pinku said…
Hey Nimmy, yeah am back....you are welcome to feel a lil envious its quite ok ;)

I met mampi thru the blog....and though it now seems ages I met her first in august...here is the link to that first meeting http://pinku-enchantedlife.blogspot.com/2008/08/meeting-with-blogger-friend-correction.html ...incase it interests you.

come down to delhi and we can surely meet up...
Balvinder Balli said…
Hi Pinku, just scrolled through your posts under the lebel "footprints". Wow !! you are great traveller. You have explored the Himalyas a lot. In fact having stayed at Shimla, i have gone around all those places near Apple Cart Inn and just relived my memories of childhood through your blog posts. And then in the company of Manpreet it must have been a double pleasure.
Unknown said…
Great that you found snow! It really is an experience of a life time. I'm up here in Waknaghat, 25 Ks from Shimla, and i still haven't been lucky this year... :(
Pinku said…
Balvinder: I am a gypsy at heart and nothing thrills me as much as traveling does. With Mampi and Mahesh the plesaure could only increase.

aZoed: lucky arent i?? :)hope you catch some snow soon...its ethereal.
Mama - Mia said…
first Mampi's update and now yours! i am TERRIBLY jealous! hrrmmppff!

i still have over year to get to 31yr mark. will try and see some snow meself before that!! :p

lovely pictures!

cheers!

abha
Pinku said…
hey abha,

thanks for the visit.

dont be jealous...just rush of to the hills next winters and witness this miracle.
Trevor Penn said…
Hey,

I luv the idea of sharing space. And i love pets. But i've never had pets and have little to share in that regard. :-(

If you still want to go ahead with a pet blog, i'm more than willing to share my pet/dog photographs.

I pulled down the iridian-hues blog because that was supposed to be my photo-blog. However the template was cranky and i was having trouble with it.
How do we know said…
when will you post again?
Preeti said…
beautiful pics ...and wonderful write up

i have missed snowfall all these years living in south ...i have spent a lot of time in my growing up years in batote .a small hill station in j&K ...
Pinku said…
hey Trevor....lets put up a blog on pets even if we dont own one right now...the spirit is there isn't it??...it could just have pics and pet stories.

and we could ask others to share to...am a lil tied up in family matters...so lets discuss this in greater detail next week.

HDWK: soon, soon ....as soon as I can get life in a lil order.

On the wings of a dream...thanks for your visit...and must say u have been really lucky to have grown up in the hills...it surely is a privelege.
Anonymous said…
i heard a lotttt about this trip! i am so glad u guys had such a fantastic time.

why wouldnt he allow pindi chhole to be packed again? ;/

n so true about mampi. she rocks! she be me sistaa! :)
Is the blog owner on a break or on a trip?
Dutta said…
A trip to Dalhousie in the Winter ... awesome .. Well Dalhouise may be Dull and Lousy for people .. but it is a perfect getaway with a select group of friends ..even Alone..
Pinku said…
Hey, Roop, it was fun....only wish we could plan it with you guys around..the fun would have doubled.

Sujoy...the blog owner is going through multiple crisis at home and work...will get back asap.


Som...yes dalhousie was fun...and i suspect we had a better time thanks to winters the place was less filled up with the chole bhature tourist crowd and we had it to ourselves...well almost.
Sahil Banga said…
aah...i recollected my stay there....loved the drive from Chamba to Dalhousie, and Kalatop was the best part of the trip. had it not been for 14hours drive, dalhousie would have been my ideal holiday spot.

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31