Home made rasmalai

For Diwali this year we planned that we would attempt to make sweets at home instead of buying ready made. 

Now the partner is the one with a sweet tooth and I only nibble at sweets once in a while. My one weakness however is the rasmalai. 
I can have 3-4 of those lovelies and for someone who as a rule doesn't eat sweets, that's a lot. So it was decided that we will make rasmalai as it would be a pity if the maker herself wasn't inclined to eat. 
I got out my recipe notes and pulled out my trusted rasmalai recipe. 
It iis fairly simple and the only real concern is the timing for taking it off the gas, as over heating tends to break the balls. 
This is what you need for it:
2 Litre full cream milk
1 cup sugar - as I mentioned I don't have much of a sweet tooth so this quantity works for 
Blanched pistachios and almonds cut into small slivers - half a cup
Half a cup cream
Few strands of saffron
1 cup milk powder
1 tablespoon all purpose flour/ maida
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
An egg

In a thick bottomed pan bring the milk to a boil, add the sugar and lower the heat. Let it simmer, stir occasionally to ensure the sugar dissolves and doesn't stick to the bottom. The milk should reduce to half.

In a bowl add the milk powder, baking powder, flour and egg, with wet fingers knead this mixture into a dough. 

Grease a plate lightly and keep aside, make small balls from the dough tap them lightly to flatten a bit and keep on the greased plate.

Once the milk has reduced to the desired consistency (keep in mind that the balls will soak up some of the milk as well) add the balls and let it all simmer for about 5-7 minutes. 

U will see that the balls will expand. Take it off the flame.

Once it cools a bit, add the cream, saffron and nuts. 

I prefer to ladle it out into small bowls as individual portions before I put them in the fridge. 

It's best had the next day as it gives the rasmalai a chance to set and also absorb the delicate flavour of saffron. 

Enjoy!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31