Pishi - my aatiyon

The bangla word for a relative is aatiyon. What it really means is someone who is close to your aatma, your soul. Someone with whom you feel a sense of solidarity, wholeness.

Pishi, my father in law's eldest sister was someone I heard about a lot through stories relayed by my in laws and husband long before I had the chance to meet her in person. I also tasted some of her awesome cooking from the portions she would thoughtfully bring across for her brother whenever she visited.

My first introduction to her happened about three years ago, when finally my father in law chose to tell her about my existence. It was a moment which I had both dreaded and anticipated equally. Comparisons, remarks, judgement all of it would have been natural and to be expected.

Yet the complete openness and ease with which Pishi met me allayed my misgivings and gave her a special place in my heart, for keeps.

My subsequent visits to her place on various occasions only helped strengthen my image of her as a kind, open, fun and caring person. 

The fact that she had visited my home just before she fell sick will always be a point that will bother me. As I live through life wondering if Pishi would have been around had I not asked her to come and meet her ailing brother. 

She had looked so beautiful that day. Regal and dignified who would have guessed that it would all end so soon. 

To me Pishi will forever epitomize what an aatiyon means.
Close to my soul. Close to my heart.

Comments

VIVA said…
Mami it was only because of you that she could complete the circle of life, meet her brother who had raised her so wonderfully before leaving us for her heavenly abode..It was her time and you just made it complete for her..If only she was here with us, she would have expressed how happy and content she was that day....
Anonymous said…
This is such a beautiful, heart-felt post! Full of feeling!
Pinku said…
Shreemoyee thank you so much for ur kind words.

thegalnxtdoor thank u dear. and welcome to my enchanted world.

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31