Happy Rakshabandhan

I was a little more than three when mom was expecting my sibling. On the train to Durgapur where my masi stayed and where we were headed for the delivery, people kept telling me that soon you will have a little brother to play with. The thought disgusted me so much that I warned Mom I might throw the new baby out of the train if she gave me a baby brother. I had wanted a baby sister desperately and brothers were not my idea of fun or playmates.
Mom kept her promise and Payel was born on 29th august 1980. A small little baby all pink and very small. I claimed ownership from the first day onwards, she was MY sister and no one had more rights to her than me. Mom says I used to wake up with a start at night even if the baby were to wail once.
Back in Faridabad, every small gift I got, a few toffees from a classmates birthday in school or a little something that friends or relatives gave I would first offer to Pukai as we called her. We never had any sibling rivalry or atleast I didn’t. Once she grew up she thought didi was smarter at certain things and very dumb at others and made it a point to pull me up on all those aspects in which I didn’t meet her exacting standards. She after all was a virgo, a perfectionist, while my taurean strain made me a bull headed rebel at times.
I had asked God for a playmate, so when I attained adulthood at eighteen God decided I had played enough and took Payel away. I returned from a short holiday to Kolkata to find her cold dead body awaiting my arrival.
I had been numb on the way to the mortuary to claim her body. It was only in the hearse when I touched her and saw the rough way she had been cut up and then like a sack sewn together with twine, that I felt any anger and the anger had been towards the doctors, didn’t they know my sister was very soft? Her skin bruised too easily? Even a firm handshake could leave a mark? How could they do this to her? And she was naked, how dare they see my sister naked?
I performed the last rites, touched fire to her lips and bade her farewell forever.
I am left with all her things, paintings, clothes, memories, photographs but no sister.
I and mom tried to understand what happened and slowly it dawned that for my painfully shy sister, getting a second division in class tenth was worse than death. She had always been told by my grandma that none of her grandchildren ever scored less than a first division. Payel was dismayed to have broken that record even if it be exactly by four marks. I was on a holiday to Kolkata and was supposed to bring Grandma back with me. Payel didn’t know how to face her, so she took her life.
My sister who had confided in me her smallest thought and desire didn’t feel it important to let me know how she felt about it. So now she stays with dad in heaven while I and mom wait out our time on earth hoping to join them someday and be a happy family again.

Happy rakshabandhan to all those who are lucky enough to have a sibling. I failed to protect my sister please do ensure you don’t.
Please do take out the time to reconnect, to keep your ego aside and talk. To give a hug and smile a genuine smile together.

Comments

Jayded said…
YOu just FUCKED UP MY DAY!!!!!
Nicely written.... sent a shiver down my spine. Sorry for your loss
Anonymous said…
Touching.
Pinku said…
Jayded: sorry didnt mean to ruin anyones day...just wanted to remind that somethings are very important and one shouldnt wait till its too late to connect with all those who are actually the most important.
Touching indeed
Sorry for your loss
Kalyan Karmakar said…
Two minutes back I connected with my brother who was born in '82 and is now setting up his own house 'somewhere' in Delhi. He has bought his own washing machine.

Then I read your story. Gosh, don't know what to say. Honestly...take care Pinku and take your time and have lot of wonderful experiences to tell Pukai stories of when you guys meet :)
Anonymous said…
Hugs Pinku! Your post made me cry. You have been through so much. I think we all come to be our families for predestined time, and when it's time to leave, we leave... Hugs.
Anonymous said…
ah, difficult to hold back my emotions after reading those last few lines of your post.. I am really sorry..
Hi!
Came following IHM's buzz. Sorry for you loss. Wish we desis knew little better piling unexcusable expectations on people we love.

Even today deadlines and less than perfect work on my part just turns me into a 10 year old who could not face dad with maths homework... Now I know I am an adult and can handle any negative reaction from significant others but the inner child still feels the shivers in the spine...

Sending you love that is definitely unmatched to Pukai's...

Peace,
Desi Girl
Pinku said…
thanks Knife...the story of my life is that half the things I do, i feel I am doing on behalf of someone who is not there to do it himself/herself.

IHM: what can i say to you....my mom is still struggling with her loss...u are brave, stay positive for your son and family and for Teju...she would want u to. when i read ur post about i thought i had lost payel yet again. cant describe how sorry i am. hugs!!!


Tara : we all have to live on..

desi girl : u are so very right....our Indian middle class values are a huge burden...while they help some climb huge mountains others just crumble under the pressure. Stay cheerful and live for yourself. give everything ur best and then dont bother about brickbats or accolades. get of the pedestal, thats the only way to survive. I have learnt it the very hard way.
Phoenixritu said…
Pinku I came via IHM ..... have seen loss, especially loss of siblings. Stay positive, smile for your sibling, remember her. I am convinced we will meet the person some day, in some life. I gather experiences to share, joys to share with my brother
mixdbrew said…
Pinku...each post of yours makes me want to give you a tight, unending hug from across the distance. I crib about my life while you have gone through so much, with so much strength. You'll meet your sis soon, in another lifetime...she'll be waiting for you :) Till then, you can borrow me & my siblings...absoultely FREE, FREE, FREE!!
Pinku said…
dear phoenixritu I am a great fan of your writing so it feels especially good to have you here. I look upon u as someone who has really seen what life is about and knows how to deal with it. thanks for ur comment.

Mixed brew: you and me are already cosmic sisters...what more can i ask God for? Really hoping we get to meet someday.
Kalyan Karmakar said…
That must be quite a weight on your shouders
Pinku said…
hey knife...its a burden yes, but its left by dear ones so I cant shrug it off...can i?

btw where in 'somewhere' delhi is your bro based? is he new here? do tell him to get in touch incase he needs any help setting up home in Delhi. It isnt the friendliest of cities to strangers.
How do we know said…
OMG.. came back to ur blog after a while and out of all the posts, this one forced me to comment.. one TIGHT hug and lots of love to you Pinku...
Anonymous said…
very touching Pinku...
talkatEase said…
Very well written tiya. It was great to remember tumpa once again after so many years through your blog. I think you might add a pic of her in this post. Let your readers see how cute our sister was.
Pinku said…
Hi Dada,

I dont have a scanned picture of Tumpa...she lived in the times before digital.

will find a picture to scan and add here. thanks for the idea.
geeta said…
y did u write this
Pinku said…
cause on raksha bandhan I thought of all the siblings who dont have time for each other, who choose to remain in their own shell and not reach out.

and I thought of Payel.

thanks for visiting my enchanted world Geeta
Anonymous said…
This brought tears !

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31