Make love

Its Gandhi Jayanti….(hurray a holiday in the middle of the week and if you can afford to take the Friday off, you got a long weekend infront of you to relax, shop or prepare for Durga Puja too).

Gandhi, a much abused in private and revered in public, man.

When I was growing up I blamed Gandhi for dividing the country into two and creating what seems like an eternal enmity between two countries. It was stylish to say things like:
Gandhi: that guy who spoke of abstinence and couldn’t walk without the support of two women under his arms.

Gandhi: who with his blackmailing techniques of fasting didn’t allow any decisive action to be taken and would hold the country to ransom for the smallest thing.

Gandhi: who slept with his thirteen year old granddaughter to check whether he has been able to control his body completely.

Gandhi much like God was to be blamed for everything that was wrong with us.

But now that I am on the other side of thirty and I see the rampant violence that’s engulfing my country, my earth I wonder if the ridicule we threw at him is not in some measure coming back at us?

He taught us nothing new….non violence, truth, peace, brotherhood, going back to grass roots are all things that various religious books and visionaries had said long before he came along.

Then why a day dedicated to him, why is he then the Father of the Nation?

I see only one answer to this question. The fact that he practiced what he preached.

He was not God nor clairvoyant so he couldn’t have known the long term results of all his actions. In some things he excelled, in others he goofed up like when he refused the doctors from giving his wife some critical medicines believing in natural cure and she died.

He preached love and tolerance and I see that as one message that we as a nation and the world as a whole sorely needs at this hour.

My request: spare the man on his birthday, he may have made some mistakes but his heart was in the right place. He wasn’t greedy for power, wealth or fame like today’s politicians.

Another request: If any one wants to pick up any pictures from my blog or even content please feel free to do so (don’t however use it for wrong purposes or misquoting me). However if you are going to use it for making money, please give a bit of it in charity (not to a religious body please) on my behalf and inform me of the same.

Happiness in the air

Its also Biscuit’s birthday. She is my friend from school days and I haven’t met her in years. She lives in London with her adorable husband and sis in law….I do miss her still and pray she has a wonderful day from the bottom of my heart. Once she wrote a few lines for me, am rededicating them to her today.

When twilight pulls in a curtain
and pins it with a star
Remember we are friends
no matter where we are!


Happy Birthday Biscuit!!!


It also happens to be Eid!

So Eid Mubarak to each one of you….hope you are lucky enough to savor the delectable delicacies that get prepared today.







Signing off now with only one wish …..Make love not war.




Comments

About Gandhi - how relevant is he in todays blast ridden country? I think there's no choice but to respond atleast with a stringent law. Gandhi's appeasement policies wont work. And I hope I live to get to the other side of thirty to see if my views change considering I might get blown off by a bomb one of these days.
About Eid - No one's inviting me for biryani...sob sob:(
Vinod_Sharma said…
Pinku, nice to read your thoughts on Gandhi. It seems we have all but forgotten him. He has so much to teach, but we have so much to learn - from others!

The way the world is going, your wish might need a small change..."Make love even in war!"
I am ardent Gandhi fan and was delighted to read some kind words for him here.
Loved this too : "please give a bit of it in charity (not to a religious body please)"
When we give to God or religious bodies we expect results and wishes granted, but when we give to charity it is a little less selfish :)
Happy Birthday to your friend Biscuit
and
Happy Eid to all :)
rayshma said…
u know, while growing up, i had the same notions abt gandhi... but eventually, i realized that the man may have his short-comings, but he did something most couldn't.
and for the concept of non-violence, i respect him. not only on his b'day, but even otherwise. if only we could put his fundamentals into practice...

and heyy... happy b'day biscuit! i shall be in ur town soon! :)

now off i go to follow ur advice...;)
Mampi said…
Wow,
this was a rational, beautiful and sincere post-not overtly patriotic, nor unnecessarily critical.
And wishing you very happy eid and also happy birthday to B.
Salil said…
Hi Pinku,
Happy Gandhi Jayanthi!
Reminds me of all the communal activities we used to do (only?) on that day every year.
Cheers,
Anonymous said…
Nicely put. I can't add more to it.

Your pictures are beautiful. I liked the India gate and the lady selling flowers one.

P.S.- I had commented on your prev. post. I can't see it till now.
Keshi said…
Lovely post Pinku!


**He preached love and tolerance and I see that as one message that we as a nation and the world as a whole sorely needs at this hour.


He not only PREACHED it, he PRACTISED it too. He's a legend!


Keshi.
Pinku said…
Akshaya...I am not disputing the need for stringent laws for those who are criminals and have been proved so beyond a doubt. I am asking for a feeling of brotherhood and tolerance amongst ordinary citizens.

As for your being blown away before reaching thirty...I pray that it never happens.

Vinod...completely agree with you on that :)
Pinku said…
thanks IHM both for the support and the wishes :)

Hey Rayshma...glad to know we share the same thoughts on yet another point. As for visiting London you can catch up with B if you want to. Am sure you will love her.

Mampi darling....thanks :)

salil...sadly everything from standing still for the national anthem to cultural programs depicting the unity of the country all seem to stop with school...wish we could bring about a change.
Pinku said…
Cuckoo...i dont check the blog on holidays hence the delay...pls dont mind. I really liked your blog and will be back soon. :)

thanks for the appreciation.

keshi...thats what I hold the highest in esteem the ability to practise what you preach.
Gazal said…
i wonder how much of gandhiji do we remember on his birthday.

these days are just enjoyed as holidays..nothing else.

sad but true.....
RT .. hXc?LqD said…
happy birthday to biscuit!
i hope she got a lot of cake tho :)
Anonymous said…
ur blog is always so positive ! love it! :) happy eid. belated, even if. :)
Anonymous said…
Its sad but true that October 2nd is 'just another public holiday' for most of us..I am not saying that we should wear white dress and make rallies..Still small acts,like maybe cleanign up your own street and like may do wonders..I hope people take up this occassion as to spread more peace and harmony..

B/w Pinku,I did the tag ;)
Manish Raj said…
Hi Friend

Indeed you have picked up the point.

Gandhiji may not be a Mahatma for a group of people, but he spoke about Peace and Non-violence that is more contemporary in today's India.

Thanks
Manish
beautiful picture of the pigeon. even the india gate picture is quite neat. do you take these?
Mana said…
Thoughtful post.. But Gandhi was hated by his son...
Pinku said…
Gazal...we dont remember Gandhi or what he sought to teach...that is the sad truth I was trying to stand up against through this post.


rt...hxc....thanks for the wishes will relay them.

Roop...thanks for your visit :) and the comment. I try and be positive about things some say its foolishness I say its my dream of a better world.
Pinku said…
Nimi...completely agree small deeds of kindness is all it takes to make a better world.

Been to your tag....thanks for taking it up.

hey Manish, thanks for the support.

Musings...the pics are taken by a dear friend who has graciuosly allowed me the liberty to use them as and when I see fit. I did a post on her http://pinku-enchantedlife.blogspot.com/2008/07/perseverance.html sometime back.

Manasa...sons sadly have been known to hate and even kill their fathers. Fathers on the otherhand have been known to be extra strict with their own offspring. That doesnt take away from the validity of Gandhi's message.

Popular posts from this blog

Some dreams

My God’s Strongest

Learning’s at 31